Oracle 8i on linux ORA-12514

From: JMNpst <jmnpst_at_aol.com>
Date: 2000/03/24

I am trying to connect to our Oracle Linux Server from a client. I loaded the linux client version, but cannot connect using SQLPLUS, nor NET8 assistant. I am sure everything is set up correctly - TNSNAMES.ORA, LISTENER.ORA on both machines. Just to be sure that linux is not the problem, I loaded the client version of Oracle 8i on another machine using W98. I was able to connect. But then we rebooted the linux server and now I cannot connect anymore. When trying to connect using SQLPLUS, I get ORA-12514 Cannot reslove to SERVICE NAME. I can ping the server using tnsping, so thats not the problem. On the server side, is there something I am supposed to do to start oracle, like some services, or run any kind of script?

I am using Oracle version 8.1.5 for linux, and have applied all the patches. Also, I am using Red Hat 6.1. Can anyone help? Received on Fri Mar 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CST