Re: What is Oracle thinking

From: Jason Kratz <JasonKratz_at_excite.com>
Date: 2000/03/23

Sybase Adaptive Sever comes in 2 versions....Anywhere (formerly SQL Anywhere) and Enterprise (formerly SQL Server). Adaptive Server Enterprise is just as powerful as MS SQL Server (and of course MS SQL Server is based on it....and uses Transact-SQL as does ASE). Anywhere is a smaller product on par with Interbase. Full SQL in that one as well.

Jason

"Malcontent" <malcontent_at_msgto.com> wrote in message news:38D9C9BD.6F12CE0_at_msgto.com...
> > with companies, I'm forces to use MS-SQL. Now I'm stuck using MS-SQL,
 which
> > makes MS happy. Now I will use ASP and Visual Interdev. They keep
> > mindshare in my mind. And if I ever have to consult a small business
>
> I suggest that you are limiting your choices to Oracle or SQL server which
 is
> irrational. Firat of all I agree that charging per power unit when you can
 buy a
> dual pIII 500 machine for a couple of thousand dollars is outright
 robbery. 20K
> for a database you have got to be kidding me!. OTOH the internet connect
 fee for
> DB/2 is "only" $3000.00 which is just a little more then what MS charges
 (last I
> checked it was about 2500). COnsidering that DB/2 will run on linux it may
> actually be cheaper then a NT/SQL server combo.
> Having said all this I would doubt that you would need the capabilitites
 of any
> of the above mentioned databases till you are much bigger. Until then why
 not
> save yourself all kinds of money and use Postgres or Interbase or Sybase.
 Sybase
> adaptive server is free on linux, so is Interbase version 4. Interbase
 version 6
> is in beta and is open source!. Postgres is free and very easy to use and
> administer and is well supported by all web technologies. If you spend the
 money
> on SQL server you are limiting your choices. You are stuck with IIS/NT/ASP
 and
> that's it. By going with postgres (for example) you can use java, perl,
 python,
> php, tcl etc. You can use all kinds of middleware app servers like Zope,
 or
> enhydra. You also would have a choice of many web servers to choose from.
 Best