Re: Intel Solaris vs Linux for Oracle

From: DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 2000/03/23

Passing on the advice of Philip Greenspun (if you don't know who he is I would keep that fact quiet) :-

Oracle Developers have Sun Solaris running on their desks.

Solaris is the 'home' platform for Oracle. It gets built on Solaris first, then ported to all other operating systems.

In addition, the fastest problem resolution times occur when the problem is Oracle on Solaris, because there's no delay in putting the fix through the porting teams.

---

From my experience, Linux is pretty immature. Gnome is basically
ridiculous when it comes to stability.

More importantly -  I wouldn't trust an Oracle instance on Linux because
the installs can be unreliable. You could be setting yourself up for
problems down the line.

---

My advice - go for Solaris 8 (out now)

David P.