Re: You have my sympathies

From: <t_brasington_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/23

In article <38d0a797.4224983_at_news-server>, nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2000 10:45:59 -0600,
> aurbanski_at_EXECUTOR.i-did-not-set--mail-host-
 address--so-shoot-me
> wrote:

Sorry I feel a urge to chime in. Nobody has mentioned what I feel is the most important reason for the middle tier.

That is isolation of business rules from the fat client AND the database. Integrity rules are properly placed in the database but business rules are completely different. A common BR is I can only make an entry in my Oracle DB where the person is a existing customer in my
NameAnyOtherSystem I have!

The old way was to import all the data from hundreds of systems into one, and write
procedures, triggers and rules.

I want a middle tier so I can switch certain systems and only affect the middle tier. Plus I do not want to sync various RDBMS and ODBMS and legacy systems for the sole purpose of
implementing complicated business rules.

If the only relationship between 2 datasets is business rules, does not the middle tier provide the ideal solution.

No argument on implementing proper constraints, procedures, etc to maintain the integrity on a particular database. It's just that that is one dimensional, and a middle tier in n-demensional.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Mar 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CST