Re: Oracle newbie question on database creation

From: Aaron <asentell_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/23

I'm learning Oracle coming from a Sybase/MS SQL background as well and have a question about Oracle database architecture that goes along with Xiaocun's.
As I understand it, a database in MS SQL is equivalent to a schema in Oracle and usually you don't want more than one database on a single server. This would mean that a single Oracle database/instance would be used for several applications and each application would then get its own schema in the database. Is my understanding correct? If so would the tablespaces be organized so that each schema has its own set of tablespaces or would all the schemas use the same tablespaces? Thanks,
Aaron
Oracle DBA-to-be
In article <953677587.3736.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> 1 Don't forget a database in Oracle is a completely different thing
 from a
> database in Sql server. A database in Oracle is an instance. Usually
 you
> don't want multiple databases on a single server, or only two.
 Typically
> what in sql server is a database is a schema in Oracle.
> If you use the database assistant to create a database this will
 create and
> run all scripts.
> They are typically run through svrmgr<xx>, although sqlplus and
 svrmgr seem
> to have merged in Oracle 8i
> Each instance/database has it's own Oracle sid!
> You'll also need to configure sqlnet using the Net8 Assistant or Net8
 Easy

> om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am an Oracle newbie and had previous experience in SQL Server 7. I
> > just managed to install Oracle8i 8.1.5 on Solaris 7 platform. I have
> > several questions regarding how to use it:
> > 1. how to create more databases? write scripts? Where scripts are
> > executed? in SQLPlus? With what command? Do I need to modify
> > ORACLE_SID or the SID is only used for the starter database?
> > 2. what are the general tools to manage databases in Oracle? Is
 there
> > some tool like SQL Server 7 Enterprise Manager which manages
 databases,
> > user accounts and everything?
> >
> > Much thanks,
> > Xiaocun Xu
> > xxu_at_commercialware.com
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Mar 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CST