Re: bitmap index problem

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: 2000/03/22

"boris" <boris_at_antec.carrier.kiev.ua> writes:

> Hi everybody.
> Is anybody know the problem like here.
> I have the table and bitmap index on this table.
> Why oracle lock the ehtire table (not the record) when I
> update,delete,insert record?

This is why bitmap indexes as implemented are not appropriate for OLTP applications. Oracle will lock the entire bitmap index to update it.

One solution if your application can be adapted to this is to have an auxilliary table with the same primary key and a bitmap index on that. Then you could update this side table periodically.

--
greg