Re: Access migration woes.

From: Tim Uckun <Malcontent_at_msgto.com>
Date: 2000/03/22

> Since you don't seem to be getting any "Oracle" feedback, let me suggest
> that you look at Informix :-)

Thanks I guess Oracle does not do these things or somebody might have piped up.

> Object Names : Informix 2000 allows object naming to 128 characters.

Hey great!. What is deal with this anyway it's the year 2000 already. In Postgres I was able to change one #DEFINE and recompile and I was good to go.

> Case insensitive searches (Access's DOS feature, I suppose) can be
> accomplished using Informix's built-in string manipulation functions. For
> example,
>
> SELECT ...
> FROM table1, table2
> WHERE UPPER(table1.col1) = UPPER(table2.col1)

I was really hoping to avoid redoing every single query in my application (over a thousand!) either by setting some option in the ODBC driver or the back end database. Somebody suggested I overload the "=" operator in postgres but I am not much of a C++ programmer. The other suggestion was to use regexp searches which would also force me to redo all my queries. Is SQL server the only database that does case insensitive matches?