Re: something about oracle performance

From: Jerra <jerra_at_aland.net>
Date: 2000/03/21

I suppose you don't have the documentation for the database. If it is Oracle 8 then have a look at this: http://www.sleepnet.net/reference/oracle8/index.htm You'll find it all there, perhaps not all that detailed. I'm using this documentation locally every day.

  1. Oracle at it's peak is a big thing. You can use scripts to query Oracle's dictionary tables to get information about eg. buffer cache hit ratio, explain plans of sql statements, analyzing tables, trace files etc. Planning the physical structure of the database, "Oracle striping", partition tables, cluster tables.
  2. The only way I know of changing this is in the init.ora file (see parameter files). There are different caches
  3. The logwriter (LGWR) writes online redologs. run "select * from v$bgprocess" and you'll see what different processes there are.

Check the documentation and you'll find what your looking for!

HTH /Jerra