Re: Oracle newbie question on database creation

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/03/21

1 Don't forget a database in Oracle is a completely different thing from a database in Sql server. A database in Oracle is an instance. Usually you don't want multiple databases on a single server, or only two. Typically what in sql server is a database is a schema in Oracle. If you use the database assistant to create a database this will create and run all scripts.
They are typically run through svrmgr<xx>, although sqlplus and svrmgr seem to have merged in Oracle 8i
Each instance/database has it's own Oracle sid! You'll also need to configure sqlnet using the Net8 Assistant or Net8 Easy Config.
2 Oracle has Oracle Enterprise Manager. Sounds like both products have the same functionality.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA