Re: Clustering on Windows NT

From: <jenna1313_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/21

David,

Thanks for the response! I believe that the customer is trying to improve their performance, but I'm not sure that they are fully aware of the additional administration and tuning requirements.

Also, when considering an NT environment, am I correct in saying that Oracle Fail Safe works directly with Microsoft Cluster Server while Oracle Parallel Server works with an Operating System Dependent layer which is based on the underlying server (Dell, Digital, IBM, etc...)?

Do you know of any websites that help clarify these issues?

Regards, Jenna

In article <8b650k$se3$1_at_zrtph05m.us.nortel.com>, "Sisk, David [YRK:6J00:EXCH]" <dsisk_at_americasm01.nt.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Oracle Fail-Safe: it allows an Oracle instance on Box1 to "fail-over"
 to an
> Oracle instance on Box2 after applying pending logs for recovery.
 Benefits:
> minimized down-time. Disadvantages: More complicated administration
 and
> troubleshooting.
>
> OPS (Oracle Parallel Server): multiple Oracle instances on multiple
 boxes
> run over a set of shared raw disks. Benefits: minimized downtime and
> performance improvement in read-intensive environments. Disadvantages:
> even more complicated administration, troubleshooting, tuning, etc.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish? Improved availability? Better
> performance?
>
> Regards,
> D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Mar 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CST