Re: privileges won't work through a Role

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/03/21

This is a WAD (working as designed) and partly changes in Oracle 8(i).

Roles are not enabled during stored procedures because pl/sql procedures are compiled, at compile time the privileges are checked, and roles are fluent. There is no guarantee it'll work in the future , you could have changed your role.
In Oracle 8i it is possible to call a procedure with definer rights or invoker rights.
This should resolve your problem.
Refer to http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte for further details.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA