Re: Security

From: John Jones <john.jones_at_duke.edu>
Date: 2000/03/20

Actually quite easy to do. Look into using "NON-Default Roles". Every User should be granted just the "connect" or "create session" privilege. Next you create a role that does the things that you want them to do. Then within the application you grant the new role to the user when he comes in with the application and then take it away when he quits the application. With just the connect privilege, they will be able to use SQL*plus or other tool to connect, but will no privileges or roles to do any thing else.

John Jones
Senior Oracle DBA
Duke University, OIT
john.jones_at_duke.edu