Periodic db status report

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: 2000/03/20

 I have been asked to start producing a weekly report on the status of our Oracle databases, their hosting servers, and network activity. I’ve been generating weekly UTLESTAT reports for a couple of months, but not really doing anything with them. My intent was to start working through them, focusing a pro-active tuning effort on each database in turn. Of course, I kept getting side tracked with other, unrelated job tasks.

So, given the mass of raw data that is available from REPORT.TXT (or possibly from a SQL*Expert analysis, or NT Perfmon) does anyone have anything they focus on regularly. What my boss is particularly interested in is trends that might predict running out of gas on a server – possibly in terms of CPU, I/O, disk capacity, etc. This particular effort is not intended to diagnose a particular existing problem, but to see what kinds of things we’re doing that could determine when we need more server capacity. To put it another way, I am NOT (for this project) interested in internal performance measures like hit ratios. What I AM interested in are the more important indicators of activity level and resource consumption.

Just to keep it interesting, we run up to 6 separate databases per NT 4.0 server, so even the numbers on a single database won’t tell the whole story.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CST