SGA sizing recommendations

From: Ihaveaquestion <Ihaveaquestion_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/03/20

We are getting ready to benchmark an application on a Sun E45000 running either Oracle 8 or preferably Oracle 8i...Solaris 2.7. The actual physical database size will be small, roughly 2GB. We plan to follow OFA.

We will have approximately seven 18GB disks(can hardly find 9GB disks anymore) available for this, and 12GB of memory. It will need to be configured for advanced replication, and will need to be in Archive log mode.

The database will need to be able to handle approximately 12-15,000 updates per second.

With this amount of memory available, we can push all of the SGA into memory and keep it there.
This benchmark has got to be done pretty quickly and proven, and I would love to be able to make it work.

I have some ideas on how to get this to work....potentially things such as
ensureing that contiguous blocks per write are set high, redo and rollback numbers and sizing, using process slaves, multiple temporary tablespaces, ISM, post-wait drivers, prepaging and locking the SGA in main memory, Net 8 configs, pre-spawned dedicated server processes, configuring buffer_pool_keep and recycle.....

My main reason for posting, is ... is this even a possible task?

Secondly, any suggestions and feedback are welcome ;-))) (i.e. any configuration considerations I have missed, Oracle 8 vs 8i opinions, etc.)

TIA Received on Mon Mar 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CST