Dangerous Newbie: Installing Oracle 8 in SOL7

From: <rparodi_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/20

Help me, please!

I go page by page on the installation manuals fro Oracle... The only thing I can not find (actually I have no clue on this!) is where is the c compiler and what does it mean by:

C compiler directory
and
---Start quote---

To take advantage of Sun machine architechture, Oracle8 Server code is compiled with the cc option -xcg92 provided in the Sun SPARCompiler C 4.2

If any files in an application are compiled using the -xcg92 flag, the symbol _cg92_ used needs to be resolved at link time. Therefor, any time a program or application is linked with the Oracle8 Server, one of the following must be done to resolve the symbol _cg92_ used:

-If /opt/ <<not applicable to me>>>
-If /usr/ccs/bin/ld is used to link, you must include the object file
$ORACLE_HOME/lib/_fstd.o in the link line. This file is shipped with the permission of Sun Micro . . .
---end quote ----

Link line?
include the object file?

Well, then when I do the install - here is the last entry in the log file...

(( OIERR-SYSTEM: make -f ins_rdbms.mk
ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.3 install ))

Action: Relinking Error. The executables for Oracle8 Server (RDBMS) were not made successfully. Please check the log file (/u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.3/orainst/install.log) and repeat the installation procedure for Oracle8 Server (RDBMS).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CST