Re: Connecting to Oracle via VPN

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: 2000/03/20

develvis267_at_my-deja.com writes:

> We have an NT Oracle8 server running on our
> network. The internal address is different then
> the address on the otherside of the Checkpoint
> VPN & Firewall. We try to connect using SqlPlus
> to the database via the VPN the initial
> connection goes through, however, in looking at
> the sqlnet trace the server response is sending
> back the internal ip address. Does anybody have
> any suggestions on what we have configured wrong
> or if this is impossible.

It sounds like you're using MTS? If so you'll have to edit your TNS connection string to specify that you want a dedicated server. Try using something like this:

SSH =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = gateway.yourdomain)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = YOURSID)
    (SRVR=DEDICATED)
    )
  )

Actually, better to take the connection string you have currently and add the (SRVR=DEDICATED) in the CONNECT_DATA since you could have other black magic in there as well.

--
greg