Re: Access Oracle 8 database using Oracle 6 ODBC drivers?

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 2000/03/20

If you are trying to point to the 8i database, you may not have a major problem. Set up a new 8i ODBC with the same name as the 16 bit ODBC on the work station. There are also 16bit drivers that talk SQL*NET V2 (O7.1-7.3), which can talk to V3 (O8x). Being ODBC, it could work. If you are trying to point to the V6 Oracle with the SQLNET80 (SQL*NET3) drivers, it won't work. (ODBC uses SQL*NET to talk to the database.)

In article <953509956.19083.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> Answers embedded
>
> Sorry,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> ALAN LATTIMORE <alattimo_at_nospam.bioh.com> wrote in message
> >
> > One of our clients is moving to Oracle 8. Of course, they have an
 ancient
 16
> > bit application that their operations depend on completely. Said
 application
> > uses ODBC drivers for Oracle 6 (specifically, ancient Q+E ODBC
 drivers,
> > before Q+E was bought out by Intersolve, which in turn was bought
 out by
> > Merant.).
> >
> > In the long term, they will be replacing the 16 bit app. But not by
 the
> > Easter deadline for migration to Oracle 8.
> >
> > I keep running into issues relating to the way the 16 bit ODBC
 drivers
> > accessed Oracle 6 and the way new ODBC drivers access Oracle 8.
> > Specifically, the old style "Server name" expects a value composed
 of the
> > following:
> > <network_protocol_prefix>:<computer_name>:<Oracle_system_ID>
> > where the network protocol prefix might be a "T" for TCP/IP; Oracle
 system
> > ID might be "ORCL"
> >
> > The 32 bit ODBC drivers look for an Oracle service name instaead, as
> > installed using Net8 Assistant.
> >
> > I'm a "C++" hack, not an Oracle dude and I'm in way over my head.
 Got life

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.