Access Oracle 8 database using Oracle 6 ODBC drivers?

From: ALAN LATTIMORE <alattimo_at_nospam.bioh.com>
Date: 2000/03/19

One of our clients is moving to Oracle 8. Of course, they have an ancient 16 bit application that their operations depend on completely. Said application uses ODBC drivers for Oracle 6 (specifically, ancient Q+E ODBC drivers, before Q+E was bought out by Intersolve, which in turn was bought out by Merant.).

In the long term, they will be replacing the 16 bit app. But not by the Easter deadline for migration to Oracle 8.

I keep running into issues relating to the way the 16 bit ODBC drivers accessed Oracle 6 and the way new ODBC drivers access Oracle 8. Specifically, the old style "Server name" expects a value composed of the following:
<network_protocol_prefix>:<computer_name>:<Oracle_system_ID> where the network protocol prefix might be a "T" for TCP/IP; Oracle system ID might be "ORCL"

The 32 bit ODBC drivers look for an Oracle service name instaead, as installed using Net8 Assistant.

I'm a "C++" hack, not an Oracle dude and I'm in way over my head. Got life preserver?

  1. Is it possible for 16 bit Oracle 6 ODBC drivers to access Oracle 8 tables? How?
  2. Alternative suggestions?

Alan Lattimore
a.lattimo_at_bioh.com Received on Sun Mar 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CST