Re: Backup & Recovery

From: John <jwilson_at_napanet.net>
Date: 2000/03/19

Hi,

What I have tried to do in the past was run the database in ARCHIVELOG mode to save the redo logs for recovery. We tried to do nightly online backups to tape via ADSM and also backed up the archived redo logs to tape frequently enough to to keep the "archiver stuck" error from occurring (when the archive area fills up and the redo logs can't be written to disk -- oracle suspends itself until space is cleared).

I like to get offline backups weekly, but have settled for monthly at my clients' insistence.

A better alternative would be to use something like EMC disks (pricey yes, but they will eventually match other competetive prices to save a sale) with Business Continuance Volumes (BCVs) which are essentially a spare mirror which they take offline nightly and do a backup of your database, then put it back online allowing it to re-sync with minimal impact to your system).

Legato, I've used for only small databases, and only if I can't avoid it. Oracle includes only a small subset of their product with their install CDs.

I hope this helps some/

john