Oracle DB replications on new SCO server

From: <im_clueless_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/17

Hello All,

I hope someone can help!

I have just built a SCO OpenServer ver.504 on a Compaq server with the new Pentium III Xeon processor, RAID 5 on 3 disks for the Oracle HOME/BASE, Disk mirroring for the Data/index/redo/archive files

My task was to transfer the existing Oracle version 7.2.2.4 database from the old server to the new one.

I first duplicated the exact file system structure and ownership in the new server. I also copied over the /etc/passwd file and /etc/shadow and /etc/group and did a "pwconv". I copied over the /etc/oratab, /etc/listner.ora, /etc/tnsnames.ora.

I also did my "best" to replicate the SCO kernel settings by copying over the SCO "/etc/conf/cf.d/stune" file from the old server to the new and recompile the kernel.

I shutdown the production database and copied all the data/redo/control/system/index files over to the new server as according to the same filesystem structure.

Now when I go to server manager and connect internal to the right DB and try to start it up I get the following error...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

$ oerr ora 443

00443, 00000, "background process \"%s\" did not start"
// *Cause: The specified process did not start.
// *Action: Ensure that the executable image is in the correct place
with
// the correct protections, and that there is enough memory.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is 750Mb of memory in the server. I have set SHMMAX to 60,000,000 (Bytes) as set in th eold server. I know I can add more, but I need to start at a known working point.

I have also done a "orainst" and re-linked oracle, but no improvements.

The second consequtive error was..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

$ oerr ora 7269

07269, 00000, "spdcr: detached process died after exec."
// *Cause: Detached process succesfully execed, but died shortly
thereafter.
// Additional information indicates exit code, and termination status.
// *Action: Check termination code for information as to why process
exited.

//          Check for core dump or trace file.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So I went to the DB bdump file and saw additional erors..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

error 7287 detected in background process

$ oerr ora 7287
07287, 00000, "soagdi: unsupported device for log archiving."
// *Cause: Log archiving to this device is unsupported.
// *Action: Try log archiving to a supported device.

Tried setting the Arhivelog to "false" in the init.ora file and it still failed. I also tried to redirect thew archive logs somewhere else in another filesystem but with the same result.

Can anyone help?!?

Thanks in Advance!

--
- I'm Clueless