Re: Your Opinion on NETG cbt desired

From: Brian W. Chester <bwchester_at_home.com>
Date: 2000/03/17

Regina,

I purchased the complete set of Oracle/NETG CBTs for the OCP DBA track and was not impressed. That particular version was extremely error prone and was very static in the responses it would accept on the evaluations provided. I found the examples rather weak and the product does not come with workable samples which can be used in a test environment. This last point is important for a person learning a new concept. In particular, in the backup and recovery CBT, it have been extremely usefull to have a database that matches what the authors have based there text on.

When spending $20,000 on a training product, you want precise examples and error free questions. When typing responses, it is important that the product is flexible enough to realize that there is more than one way to type a sql statement. Sql statements should be judge for correctness based on the output and performance of the statement entered, not on a pre-concieved notion of how the author(s) want the statement entered.

In short, I would recommend purchasing some of the many excellent reference books on the market, backed up by a few of the Oracle Classroom courses, a full set of printed documentation, and a test platform to experiment with. The test environment is essential when working through the advanced features of Oracle.

HTH Brian