where 1=1 ?

From: Julio <julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es>
Date: 2000/03/16

I'm reviewing an application we've bought to an outer company in order to (try to) optimize some queries they use and I've seen a lot of occurrencies of that strange clause show above. I.e.:

select empno from emp
where 1=1 and empdpt='COMPUTER';

Does anybody wich is the utility of introducing such comparison?

Regards.

--
Julio Negueruela

'Hay algunas cosas que son tan serias
que solo puedes bromear con ellas.' (Bohr)