Re: You have my sympathies

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/03/16

On 15 Mar 2000 10:45:59 -0600,
aurbanski_at_EXECUTOR.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me wrote:

>> For a variety of reasons that take too long to explain, that is the
>> completely wrong attitude to writing portable code, and one of the
>> reasons for the code bloat that is seen nowadays in so many
>> third-party applications. And the buggy code too.
>
>While a long dissertation on the pitfalls to be avoided and the benefits to
>be achieved by writing database-side procedures and triggers may be uncalled
>for, I'd love to see some people put forth at least a list of such
>justifications. I think it would be and excellent subject of converstation.
>It would also help a lot of people (myself included) sell The Powers That Be,
>on what many of us consider a sensible approach to database development.

Try reading some of the material about relational databases that was put out during the 80's by just about every maker of the said. And every magazine dealing with the same subject. And every study book on the subject. As I said, it's such a fundamental tennet of relational databases that the only way to discuss it is by studying the subject matter. Newsgroups are not the place to do that.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Thu Mar 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CST