Re: 8i on Intel-based Unix & that f****** licensing

From: Mike S <mike.stoneNOmiSPAM_at_talk21.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/03/15

Hitherto the license was renewed annually - although we actually signed up to some agreement mid '97 which meant it was renewed automatically for the next 3 years in return for a slight reduction in cost.
  The Oracle apps are GIS-based, and when funds permit, we'll be looking at 8i Spatial - that's why we need the Enterprise Edition.
  The Oracle sales rep didn't offer anything under the concurrent model! In any case, we can't really predict how many more users we'll get in the future - but it's likely to be rather more than we're paying for now.

  I had hoped someone would be able to offer some insight into how much we'll be losing in performance terms in jumping from Sparc to Intel (assuming otherwise identically configured boxes), as well as whether there'd be any difference, performance-wise, for Oracle on Intel Unix as against Oracle on NT. Anyone with any opinions, experiences....?