Re: SQL Server to Oracle conversion

From: Josh Miller <jmiller_at_iterated.com>
Date: 2000/03/15

I'm in the process of doing this myself. I think if you can get a separate machine on which to install Oracle, your best bet is to download Oracle 8i, the Oracle Migration Workbench, and you'll probably want Oracle Enterprise Manager as well and just start installing and reading the documentation that comes with it. The docs are all HTML, and can be a pain to navigate sometimes, so you'll want to add every useful page you find to a favorites folder. As far as doing the actual conversion, the Migration Workbench is not perfect, but it's a pretty good start. Even if I have had to rewrite some of the stored procedures, it helped in the beginning to have the tool convert the Transact SQL to PL/SQL so I could compare the two languages (the tool also moved the data very easily).

Good luck! I'm only a couple of months ahead of you in this process, so if you have any specific questions, there's a good chance I had to figure the same thing out at some point myself, so feel free to ask (either post to forum or email).

Josh Miller
jmillerNOSPAM_at_mediabinNOSPAM.com
remove NOSPAM from name and domain above to email