Re: Archiving Theory Question

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: 2000/03/14

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:59:42 GMT, Satar <satar_at_my-deja.com> wrote:

>This is an embarrasing question for an Oracle DBA with 3 years of
>experience to ask, but here it goes:

Not to worry. I ask lots of questions that fall into this category.

>For example, Lets say I'm currently on log sequence 111 on my online
>redo logs. Let's say that I then shutdown the database. Does my online
>redo log 111 get archived?

No. Your redo log file gets closed when you shutdown the database, that's all.

>Or does it only get archived during a log
>switch?

It doesn't really get archived _during_ a log switch either. It will get archived after a log switch. How long after depends on whether or not you have the archiver process running, and on how well the archiver process is keeping up.

regards,

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Tue Mar 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CST