Re: You have my sympathies

From: James Moore <james_at_banshee.com>
Date: 2000/03/14

"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<38ca3168.3632572_at_news-server>...
> Not a PK, a FK or a
> stored procedure or trigger in sight...

To me, the use of triggers and stored procedures is something to be avoided, not sought out. As much as possible should be done by the application. The big downside of things like stored procedures and triggers is that they're written in some non-standard extension to SQL. There's no standard way to write database code inside databases; Oracle, Sybase, Microsoft and the others all have their own way of doing things. Instead of using these, do the work in your application instead. People maintaining the code are going to be looking at the app anyway, and the more of it that's in one place and in a standard language (C++, Perl, whatever) the better. There may be times when you can't avoid using some extensions, but think long and hard before you do.