Re: Spindles and big disks

From: Doug Coan <dcoan_at_aegonusa.com>
Date: 2000/03/13

In article <TRWx4.905$mF1.31922_at_news.uswest.net>,   "KineticGuy" <nospam_at_spam-world.usa> wrote:
> I grew up on the philosophy that databases perform better with more
 spindles
> and by isolating hot areas to their own groups. This concept still
 makes
> sense to me.
>
> Now the minimum disk sizes available are 9 GB and hardware caching is
 the
> hot thing. What are folks doing with this issue when sizing new
 systems.
> If you have a 40GB database, it's getting harder to justify the costs
 for as
> many spindles versus the old 1GB - 4GB days.
>
> I'm interested in thoughts that people have on this.

I love talking DASD and databases. Here is my two cents

Bottom line - it depends on your environment. It your DB is 50, 100, 200 GB you may not need to worry about spindles if your RAID is correct. If you have a 500GB, 1TB or more, well then thats a horse of different color. You'll need all the tricks here.

Good luck....

--
Doug Coan
Oracle Certified Professional DBA