Re: Spindles and big disks

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: 2000/03/13

KineticGuy wrote:

> I grew up on the philosophy that databases perform better with more spindles
> and by isolating hot areas to their own groups. This concept still makes
> sense to me.
>
> Now the minimum disk sizes available are 9 GB and hardware caching is the
> hot thing. What are folks doing with this issue when sizing new systems.
> If you have a 40GB database, it's getting harder to justify the costs for as
> many spindles versus the old 1GB - 4GB days.
>
> I'm interested in thoughts that people have on this.

Not an expert, but all TpC record breaking configurations have *lots* of spindles, not large disks. Makes you wonder, euh? Also, there's a beautiful tool to configure hardware for Oracle Apps from different vendors. One of the input params is response time; guess what you'll get when cutting response time in half? Right, many more spindles!

Just my 2c, hth,

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel