Re: Oracle newbie!! - Please help!!

From: Chris Mac <chris_mac_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/13

Robert Martin wrote:

> Well, as far as pride is concerned - when it comes to Oracle - I have none. I really could give two shits if we use SQL Server or
> use Oracle. I am just a lowly engineer and marketing says that some customers want the product to use SQL Server and others to use
> Oracle. I am not even a real DBA and now I am getting dumped on to be that on top of a programmer. I wish they would just hire a
> DBA, but no, they won't. I have been reading (or at least trying to read) a book I got from the Oracle Press titled "Oracle 8i DBA
> Handbook". What a bore! I can hardly keep my eyes open for 5 minutes while reading it. I can't understand how anyone who is a DBA
> can keep their sanity. I for one would rather be writing software and leaving the DBA to someone else who cares about it. If you
> have any recommendations on good books that will help please let me know. If you know anything about the book I am reading - please,
> tell me your opinion on it.
>
> If I truly asked myself where I want to be in 2 years with this database I would tell you that I don't want to have anything to do
> with the database and that I would rather someone else deal with it. Just give me a C++ compiler, code editor and leave me alone!!
>
> Sorry about all the bitching, but I just gotta get this off my chest. Thanks for the offer in helping. Hopefully I will get some
> training (they are planning on me getting some here in Troy MI).
>
> > Second tip - find any excuse to delay the migration and get stuck in to
> > the documentation. You have to do this first.

i CONCUR.

> > > migrate the database. Well, I read most of the release notes and I have to have the 8.1.5 client installed on the machine that I
> > > want to install this software on. Do I have to upgrade my Oracle 8.0.5 install to the 8.1.5 install? I have tried to install the

That would be easiest. Delete _everything_ that says Oracle. Clean up the registry. Is the database on Unix or something else? Is your client on NT/98/95 or something else?

> > > 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition software over the 8.0.5 install, but I can't because the release notes state I can't install over a
 HOME
> > > (whatever the hell a home is - I still don't really understand this concept yet fully) that already exists. So what do I do? Do
> > > have to uninstall the 8.0.5 software? I am afraid to do this cause I totally screwed up our NT server when I did this before.
 Should
> > > I just forget the DEFAULT_HOME that exists and install into a new home and completely forget the original home I created with
 the
> > > 8.0.5 install (which looks like it will waste a lot of disk space if I do this). What do I do!?!?! Any information will be
 greatly
> > > appreciated. Also, is there content on the net or a good book that will help me as a newbie? I recently got the "Oracle 8i DBA
> > > Handbook" from the Oracle Press. Is this good enough?

Don't know that one but O'Reilly do a very good range of books, register for Oracle Online Support, (support.oracle.com) lots of useful info and quick on-line answers from experienced dbas. When you install the Oracle server (have you done this yet?) make sure you don't install the default database, do get db_block_size right, do make sure users have their own, separate, tablespace, do make sure you have plenty of Rollback space, otherwise follow the install guide EXACTLY.