limiting result set size

From: Matt Brown <mbrown1_at_home.com>
Date: 2000/03/12

This might be a FAQ, but so far my research hasn't turned up an answer.

My situation is this. I plan on having a scalable java application which will process rows from a table. 1..n of these applications could be deployed to distribute the processing.

Each application will need to execute a query or call a stored procedure to get a set of rows to work on. What's the best way to accomplish this?

Is there a way to limit the number of rows returned in a result set?

Is it better to have each application invoke a SELECT...FOR UPDATE query (itself or via a stored procedure) or have them talk to some other applicaiton which is font-ending the database and doling out x number of rows from the total result set to each requestor??

I'm assuming this isn't an uncommon problem, so there are probably good solutions.

Any help appreciated.

Matt Received on Sun Mar 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CST