Re: Mutiple Developers developing one PL/SQL Package

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: 2000/03/11

I think it is possible to create "highly functional components" without putting everything into one big package. These components should also be able to "reference and modify modular level variables."

However, with the one big package constraint and a large number of developers, you might be able to experiment with Extreme Programming's idea of "pair programming" ( http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules.html ). With this approach all code is written with two programmers sitting at a single terminal talking to each other. Only one of the partners controls the keyboard and mouse during their joint work session.

The benefits of pair programming are (1) constant code review, (2) constant vigilance that one of the partners is not overcoding the product or adding unnecessary refinements, and (3) constant communication about the purpose of the code. There is also the claim that more usable code actually gets written.

Frank Hubeny