Re: What is the best oracle program?

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net>
Date: 2000/03/10

If you need quickly developed _internal_ applications that employees can use to do data entry, Forms is fine. Reports also has its place, especially if have the need of producing .pdf files from Oracle data. There's just about nothing that beats WebDB if you want to give your internal departments the ability to create their own little tables and HTML-based apps, this extends the power of the intranet to them (but I recommend getting v. 2.2 or waiting for 3.0).

However, if you are shooting for an "E-Commerce" site, one that can be accessed by thousands if not tens of thousands of users, there are much better 3rd party ways of writing web-based sites and apps. Consider RAD tools like WebObjects, Versata Server, ColdFusion, SilverStream and SapphireWeb. I could go on an on about these, but your own research would quickly turn up more valuable data than I could spew. My current favorite for rapid development is SilverStream as it has a visual servlet designer that allows you to drag-n-drop the HTML GUI while it writes the back-end servlet code for you (it also supports about 4 other development styles including JSP). This all atttaches to your Oracle 7,8 or 8i database with a SilverStream type 2 driver and allows you to quickly extend your stored information to the web population.

Then there's more traditional 3GL ways of doing things, many of which have their own wizards to speed things up, like Visual Cafe, JBuilder/JDeveloper, VisualAge, etc. This takes a lot more time to write your business logic and presentation components, but it's more flexible since you have control over everything and nothing has to wrapped by the vendor (if you so desire). Of course, the better RAD web development tools (like SilverStream) also allow you to dip into your own custom code, thus eliminating that drawback.

best of luck,
bill c.

"Oraconfused" <ehuntNOehSPAM_at_busydata.com.invalid> wrote in message news:00cdbd0e.b2a08440_at_usw-ex0109-069.remarq.com...
> From the advice of all those Oracle users out there which
> Oracle tools are the best to create e-commerce sites. I
> have a small amount of experience with Oracle, I have been
> using Web DB to create web pages but I have'nt used it to
> create ecommerce. I am not sure if this is the best program
> to use, although it brings up spectacular web pages, will
> it help my to create an e-commerce database? Now the reason
> I am asking this question was that I have also heard of
> Oracle Forms & Reports. Now at the moment I am having
> problems finding this program. But I am still looking. So
> some advice from those who have had the experience of one
> or both programs, which do you think is the most desiered
> program for E-Commerce sites?... Oracle WebDB? or Forms &
> Reports?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Oraconfused :)
>

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful Received on Fri Mar 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CST