Re: Oracle's Licensing Question

From: Kevin A Lewis <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/03/10

Much what I thought the position will be. People will not like the pricing/licencing so much they will prefer alternatives.

Regards

--
Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD) - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich United
Kingdom)

The views expressed herein by the author of this document
are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd.
Dan <greenlex_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Oracle's new pricing "scheme" and it is just that is not popular among
> its customers but I'm sure Oracle's stockholders love it. If they
> don't watch out, they will lose a lot of customers and ultimately lose
> revenue. I hate MS SQL Server but they only charge $3,000 per
> processor.
>
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:06:50 -0600, "JK" <jkp_at_REMOVEIT.texoma.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I'd really appreciate it if someone can clarify some of Oracle's
licensing
> >to me.
> >
> >Does named user license mean that I have to specify the actual name of
the
> >person accessing the database to Oracle? While purchasing? People
working
> >at our company change very frequently and I'm not sure I want to get into
> >this type of agreement if that's the case.
> >
> >Also, most of the connections to the database at my company are from
> >software that are automated (getting data from one place, inserting it
into
> >database, moving it, querying to create reports etc.). How do I figure
out
> >licenses for these? And please don't say "power unit". We'll have to
> >migrate to a different database from Oracle If that's the only way!
Can't