Spindles and big disks

From: KineticGuy <nospam_at_spam-world.usa>
Date: 2000/03/09

I grew up on the philosophy that databases perform better with more spindles and by isolating hot areas to their own groups. This concept still makes sense to me.

Now the minimum disk sizes available are 9 GB and hardware caching is the hot thing. What are folks doing with this issue when sizing new systems. If you have a 40GB database, it's getting harder to justify the costs for as many spindles versus the old 1GB - 4GB days.

I'm interested in thoughts that people have on this. Received on Thu Mar 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CST