Re: What a load of rubbish

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2000/03/09

I usually don't respond to postings without being able to see the entire thread, but I think that in this case, a response is needed.

DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com> writes:

> Its none of Oracle's business how you define your users.
True.

> Perhaps Oracle knows that there are a lot of apps out there with lots of
> separate users already defined (so they have decided to change their
> licencing model to 'catch them' between the 'rock' of the unlimited user
> licence option and the 'hard place' of the named user licence option).
I doubt it, but I don't do pricing. I do know that the advent of the web made our previous pricing method almost unworkable, so they tried another tack.

> If your point was valid, can you please point out to me the mechanisms
> Oracle is implementing to make sure that every user account on the
> server maps to an existing real-live person? e.g. requirements to send
> photos / names / addresses / birth certificates / company payroll
> records / forms registering users for the system / favourite colours /
> an updated list of employees leaving and joining an enterprise to
> Oracle.

Oracle allows users to be be managed through a number of external methods. For example, it is possible to create a user in a central LDAP directory and then tell Oracle (through the IDENTIFIED GLOBALLY option to CREATE USER) that the user is managed there.

When the user leaves the organization, the entry in the directory is deleted which will cause logins to Oracle to fail.

External administration is also supported through Kerberos, DCE, RADIUS, SecurID, Identix among others. Many of these means have existed for several years.

--
                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman

       The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not
             necessarily represent those of  Oracle Corporation.