Re: News - Oracle Opinion on the matter

From: Kevin A Lewis <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/03/09

I agree - the plot indeed thickens

From the Oracle Store web site the Named & Power unit definitions are as follows:-

I quote

    Named User - Single Server: an individual authorized to use the Oracle program(s) on a single machine, regardless of whether the individual is actively using the program(s) at any given time.

    Named User - Multi Server: an individual authorized to use the Oracle program(s) on multiple machines, regardless of whether the individual is actively using the program(s) at any given time.

    Power Unit - Intel: is equal to one MHz of processing power on a single Intel/CISC or Intel compatible processor on which the Oracle Program(s) are installed. To calculate power units for a server running the Oracle Program, take the MHz on each processor and multiply by the total number of processors running the programs. Be sure to count all of the processors in all the computers where the Oracle Program is installed and running.

    Power Unit - RISC: is equal to one MHz of processing power on a single RISC or RISC equivalent processor on which the Oracle Program(s) are installed. To calculate power units for a server running the Oracle Program, take the MHz on each processor and multiply by the total number of processors running the programs. Be sure to count all of the processors in all the computers where the Oracle Program is installed and running.

I took this to mean named human beings gaining authorized access to the system. The set up of a 'named account' being a convenience the client company is free to use but not required to use. Thus if 10 users log on as APP_USER they are still 10 users. The user high water mark has be faulty for some time and matches non of the recent licencing models. You are unable to enforce compliance by using it as far as I know.

Regards

--
Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD) - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich United
Kingdom)

The views expressed herein by the author of this document
are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd.