Re: Databases and Enterprise Storage

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/03/08

One of the big reasons for buying the 'Enterprise Storage' solution is that it's all a nice big black box and you don't have to worry about what's going on inside.

Most DBAs seem to spend a lot of their time trying to find out what is going on inside the database.

I sympathise with your common sense DBA perspective, I once spent several weeks trying to explain to management that the problem was clearly inside the big black box and they should try a produce a map of which bits of wire were sending data to which discs.

One of my rules of thumb - if it's an Oracle database avoid any discs bigger than 9Gb: and I bet your Enterprise Storage boxes are talking about 36Gb+.

--

Jonathan Lewis