Re: Databases and Enterprise Storage

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: 2000/03/08

The only (? useful) comment I might offer is regarding downtime and distributed usage.

Is it absolutely necessary for all of the data to be located together on the same machine
at the same location? (Consider San Francisco's earthquake problems)

One might also see a performance improvement using distributed machines if primary
users are distributed.

Working in a shop supporting a multi-hospital / multi-state system (one large system serving
mutliple hospitals in a multi-state region): whenver we had to bring down the application down
for whatever reason, all 4000 users were out of service (Tandem crap).

Your central (repository?) database could be updated once per day/week/etc.

Good luck

Steve.