Re: Index creation - performance problem

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/08

where is the index being stored? Did you specify a storage creation clause with the index? If not it is most likely either being stored with the table, or in your default tablespace. Also, if you did not specify a storage clause, you are creating the index with the default storage parameters of the tablespace, which may be very small and inefficient extent settings. I had a developer one time trying to create an index on a 1 GB table using default storage parameters (8k/4k) and it took HOURS.

You may also want to consider using the UNRECOVERABLE option for the index to avoid generating significant amounts of redo.

HTH,
Roy

In article <38C6758D.339F0603_at_royalpbk.com>,   Adam Roze <arz_at_royalpbk.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create unique index on a big table.
> Table is placed on separated datafile/tablespace/disk . Monitoring
 disk
> activity shows that oracle reads and writes about the same
> amount of data ~2.5 MB/s.
>
> I understand that oracle has to read the table to create index but why
> does it write to it ??? Is it possible to avoid ??
>
> As the table is big ~6GB it takes an hour to create the index and I
> hope that elimination of writes would make it faster.
>
> Oracle is 7.3.4.5 on Digital Unix 4.0E
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Adam

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CST