Re: Why is date arithmetic suddenly broken (7.3.4)

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_netcom.com>
Date: 2000/03/08

stanb_at_netcom.com (Stan Brown) writes:

>Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> writes:

>>In article <8a5gb0$l4o$1_at_slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,
>> stanb_at_netcom.com (Stan Brown) wrote:
>>> 7.3.4 in HP-UX
>>>
>>> Date arithmetic, and comparisons that have worked for years are
>>> suddenly broken. Oracle seems to know this, nut I am not
 getting clear
>>> answers on why.
>>>

>>I believe your vendor has a y2k issue and does not properly encode a
>>date in the 7 byte format which we are expecting... They should be
>>using to_char() and to_date() but it sounds like they are not (you can
>>tell by looking at the sql in v$sqlarea -- see if their "insert into
>>mwh_log ( column, column, column ) values ( :b1, :b2, :b3 )" has a
>>to_date on the bind variable for dstamp or not. If it does not they
>>are using the 7 byte internal format which we 'trust' is correct.

        OK, I am making prograss on this thanks to you. Thanks very much.

	Here is where I am, your trigger does indeed fix the problem. I hav
	even out it in for all 100+ tables that have date stamps  inserted by
	this vendors program.

	However, I am still trying to get a habdle on what exactly is causing
	this problem.

	I re-read your message, and I have now figured out how to select from
	 v_$sqltext. Unfortunately the text seems to be truncated. Is tehre a
	 way to select from this view, and get the full text of the insert
	 statement?

	 I could then take a look to see if it has the to_date() in it.

	 BTW I still have not figured out the "7 byte" thing, so I would still
	 like  bit more information on it.

	 I checked out your web page, NICE.

	 Thanks again for the prompt help on this., I should have posted here a
	 week agao!

--
Stan Brown     stanb_at_netcom.com                                    404-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems