Re: Oracle newbie!! - Please help!!

From: DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 2000/03/08

Oracle 8i is also know as Oracle version 8.1.5 (6)

8.0.5 was the version before Oracle 8i (simply, Version 8)

Blame marketing people for the confusion.

Anyway - glad to hear your being asked to do a conversion from SQl Server to Oracle. Keep posting here and I for one will help.

First tip - don't assume the migration workbenches will work - they don't always.

Second tip - find any excuse to delay the migration and get stuck in to the documentation. You have to do this first.

If you don't do the second tip, the best that can happen is that the migration goes flawlessly and your new oracle database sings along until BOOOM. Then you realise you've no idea what goes / has been going on inside it. But its far too late now. You annoy your bosses. You get Oracle a bad name in their eyes. You damage your own reputation ... you get my point.

Maybe it would be appropriate to swallow your pride and get a consultant in to do the migration. Also try and get some Oracle instruction from an Oracle Education provider (overpriced maybe but the manuals cut through SO much of the over-powering detail that you get with the Oracle Documentation itself).

Ask youself - where do you want to be with this database in 2 years time?

Working smoothly with backup procedures in place or staggering from one disaster to another as you simultaneously try to just learn what the database is doing? You won't have time for both.

regards,

David P.