pctfree setting for BTREE indexes

From: <pelt01_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/08

Using Oracle 7.3.4.4, I'm creating an index on a table that is subject to a significant number of inserts. As I understand from an Oracle Note, if the pctfree setting is too low, and the inserts are not monotonic then the low pctfree setting will more quickly result in leaf block splits.

Is there any method of estimating a suitable value for pctfree (e.g. 10%, 20%, or 50%) given that I am able to analyse the index on an existing test system? For example, is the information in index_stats, or any other statistical view, of any use in telling me whether the existing test index has suffered from leaf block splits.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CST