Re: question on archived logs

From: Phil Cook <pncook_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 2000/03/08

With hot or or online backups, if you have to recover then you will need the redo log information
from the time that the tablespace was put into backup mode until the tablespace was taken
out of backup mode.

The initial switch just makes it clearer what redo information was generated before the first
tablespace backup.

The archive log all moves the pre-hot backup redo information to the arch_dest location usually
to be sent off to tape.

The important step is to get the redo log information that is generated during the hot backup
archived off and then backed up to tape. The file backups taken during the hot backup are
useless without the redo log information generated during the hot backup.

Perform a log switch and archive log all after the tablespace backups, and then sent those
archived log files off to tape.

Hope this helps,

Phil Cook