Re: Oracle's Licensing Question

From: JK <jkp_at_REMOVEIT.texoma.net>
Date: 2000/03/08

David, Thanks. This is helpful. To tell you the truth, we currently have only a few user names. Pretty much all of our user names are generic. However, currently we have concurrent licensing and Oracle (or rather one sales rep) says they count the concurrent connections as the number of concurrent users (devices). This becomes a very large number. Especially because some of our users connect to several databases or open several connections in the same database at the same time. We've really gone crazy with Oracle databases and they are everywhere. Trying to curb the use of Microsoft Access databases being used out there (which then we have to maintain).

Now since the number of concurrent device licenses we own is less than the concurrent connections into the database, I was planning to buy more licenses. Well, since the concurrent license option isn't there anymore, the only options I have is "Named User Multi Server" or Power unit. Now for the power unit calculation, yes I do agree that the cost of $150*no. of cpu *MHz of each is for unlimited users (Which in your example comes out to $360,000.00). However, even if one wanted named users, in your example, the minimum no of users we can buy it for is 4*600/20 = 120 users which means 120 * $750 = $90,000.00 (and not 7500). The figure to use to calculate the minimum license level is one user per 20 Mhz and one "user" costs $750 (and not 150) for "named user multi server enterprise edition" license.

Now, the problem is, we buy big powerful Sun machines and run applications and databases both on them. Applications need more power so machines are bigger. We can't afford to buy licenses with aforementioned calculation for all of them. Moving databases off to their own servers may be an option, but not preferable.

So the long and short of it is, I hate Oracle. Looking into using some other database in many places now.

JK

"DNP" <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com> wrote in message news:38C6C491.19CA_at_btinternet.com...
> You don't need to name your users, however if your named user limit is
> e.g. 100,
> you'll never be legally allowed more that 100 separate usernames (where
> a user can create a session i.e. logon under a different user name). You
> can have generic names if you want. E.g. Accounts_clerk,
> Accounts_manager, Personell_Clerk etc. Maybe give the managers their
> own username though.
>
> N.B. all licence restrictions are done on an honour basis - you could
> startup your database ( if you wanted to break the law) with it
> accepting unlimited users.
>
> Think your a bit off with your power limit calcs. Could be aroung 50$
> per power unit IF YOU WANT UNLIMITED USERS. But if you want a NAMED
> USERS LIMIT then the only thing you have to worry about is the licence
> price floor. This is e.g. 150$ / 50 Mhz. So say you only wanted 3 users
> but you have 4 * 600 MHz CPUs. The cost per named user would be e.g. 3 *
> 100$ = 300$ but you'll still have to pay (4*600Mhz)/50Mhz) * 150$ i.e.
> 7200$ so this is how Oracle still makes some money from you.
>
> So the name of the game (if you got complete control of the rule-book!)
> is :--
>
> 1. use lots of RAM and less CPU,
> 2. have lots of generic usernames and few individual ones
> 3. remeber the importance that's going to be placed on your CPU count.
> i.e. unlimited users - e.g. $50 per Mhz * your total Mhz
> or named users but minimum cost is ( your total Mhz / 50 Mhz )*
> $cost / 50 Mhz.
>

> P.S. Tell all your application developer friends / companies to start
> creating generic usernames, not specific ones.
>

> Hope this clarifies,
>
> David P.

> JK wrote:
> >
> > I'd really appreciate it if someone can clarify some of Oracle's
 licensing
> > to me.
> >
> > Does named user license mean that I have to specify the actual name of
 the
> > person accessing the database to Oracle? While purchasing? People
 working
> > at our company change very frequently and I'm not sure I want to get
 into
> > this type of agreement if that's the case.
> >
> > Also, most of the connections to the database at my company are from
> > software that are automated (getting data from one place, inserting it
 into
> > database, moving it, querying to create reports etc.). How do I figure
 out
> > licenses for these? And please don't say "power unit". We'll have to
> > migrate to a different database from Oracle If that's the only way!
 Can't