Re: Max open cursors

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/03/08

In article <38C544B9.3C275829_at_rationalconcepts.com>,   "C. Ferguson" <c_ferguson_at_rationalconcepts.com> wrote:
> Sorry,
> beats me. Are the cursors that you see in the view yours? Look at
 the actual
> text of the cursor to see what statement is occurring. After the
 process
> fails, is the app still connected? Check the sys.v_$session view to
 see who's
> logged on to the db.
> Disconnect your app, and check the session view again to verify. Then
 check the
> cursor view (user_name and sql_text) to see what's what...
>
> Write a tighter test case where iteration occurs through your app and
 all the
> stored procedures once. Check the views, before you begin, and then
 after.

> Sorry I don't have the answers you are looking for.
> regards,
> cindy
>
> Chad Sheley wrote:
>
> > Yes, I have autocommit set to FALSE.
> >
> > I checked the v$open_cursor view and there are 14111 cursors!!! How
 can this
> > be?!! I have the OPEN_CURSORS parameter set to 5000?
> >
> > Also, how do I clean these up? After the guilty process failed,
 these
> > cursors still show up in the view.
> >
> > Chad

I hope an expert can jump in this thread because I'm not. My understanding of OPEN_CURSORS is the maximum number of curosrs *a session* can have, while V$OPEN_CURSOR contains every sessions' curcors, so you can have a total of much more than what your OPEN_CURSORS is.

Searching at Steve Adam's site returns something probably relevant. The URL is http://www.ixora.com.au/q+a/1999_04.htm. It prompts me to ask, Can you set CLOSE_CACHED_OPEN_CURSORS from the default false to true?

--
Yong Huang

(yong321_at_yahoo.com)
(http://www.stormloader.com/yonghuang/)