Re: NEWBIE Question

From: Graham Bleach <itdcgb_at_its.hants.spamfree.gov.uk>
Date: 2000/03/07

> I'm new to Oracle DBA and have a simple question. What happens if I take
> a datafile of the users tablespace offline? I got two files in this
> tablespace. One is nearly full and the other got more than enough space
> to take the content of the first file and even extent. When I take the
> full file offline will the data be moved to the new empty file?

No and anyone trying to access data on this file will get nasty messages.

> Or will my data be destroyed?

No, not from taking the file offline.

I suggest leaving things as they are unless there's a reason for removing the first file that you didn't put in your post. My next suggestion is to buy a Oracle DBA book; if you choose one you feel comfortable with it will be worth every penny (or cent). HTH Received on Tue Mar 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CST