Re: Oracle's ? = SQL Server's stored procedure ???

From: Josh Miller <jmiller_at_iterated.com>
Date: 2000/03/06

Rob,
I'm in the same boat. I'm porting a MSSQL system to Oracle (not migrating, we want to support both). In MSSQL we have numerous stored procedures, most of which are called by C++ code using ODBC and return a result set. One of the reasons for choosing ODBC was the hope of porting to other platforms (at least, those which support stored procedures). However, if the stored procedures are all going to have an extra parameter (cursor variables) and processing the result is different for Oracle than MSSQL, then we'll need a separate layer of C++ code for Oracle, so we've gained nothing by using ODBC. My question is, is there a way to make Oracle stored procedures behave like their MSSQL counterparts, or will we need different code to call MSSQL and Oracle sp's. Before I shell out $40 for ANOTHER Oracle book, I want to make sure it can tell me what I need to know, or if what I want to do is even possible.

Thanks in advance,
Josh Miller
jmiller_at_mediabin.com

Rob Calfee <trace_at_primenet.com> wrote in message news:8a0lud$is3$1_at_nnrp02.primenet.com...
> Yes, You can use cursors to create more than one recordset. Although, to
> give an explanation is beyond the scope of this message. Check out Steve
> Feuerstein's Oracle PL/SQL Programming for more details or consult your
> online doc.
>
> Rob Calfee
> Systems Consultant
> Quest Software
> rcalfee_at_quest.com
>
> xiaomh <xiaomh_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know what's the simliar object in Oracle to stored procedure
 in
> > SQL Server,
> > I mean:
> > In SQL Server, you can get two recoredset in one stored procedure, for
> > example:
> > create procedure myTest
> > as
> > select * from jobs
> > select * from employees
> >
> > How can I do this in Oracle? It seems to me in Oracle's stored
 procedure,