Re: Oracle On Linux -- Install Is Just Aweful !!!

From: Kurt Fitzner <kfitzner_at_hack.mainframe>
Date: 2000/03/06

In article <7TBw4.8069$vd7.411883_at_bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

        "Buck Turgidson" <jcmanNOSPAM_at_worldnet.att.net> writes:
> I run 8.0.5 on RH 5.2. It runs like a dream. If you don't need 8i, you may
> wish to consider it.

I made the switch from 8.1.5i to 8.0.5. I use Slackware 7 (which is pretty much equivalent to asimplified REdhat 6.1), and had to jump through a couple hoops. The glibc patch was one. You are forced to install a 'compatibility' version of glibc2.0, egcs, and binutils to use it.

The second hoop is getting the (poorly named) Intelligent Assistant running.

However, that said, keep in mind a couple things:

  1. Oracle is giving this software away (albeit for development only). The reason they are doing this is to help them develop better compatibility.
  2. Oracle has made a huge investment in the Linux community in doing the above. While I am agravated by the bugs, they are to be applauded for their effort.
  3. It is extremely difficult, given the huge differences possible between Linux systems for Oracle to get everything to work on all distributions. 8.1.5 is a big step for them... a lot of the utilities changed in 8.1.5.

I don't think we should criticize too heavily on the fact Linux is behind the others in stability right now. 8i release 2 is just around the corner, maybe it will fix this.

Now, what I will criticize them for is their overuse of Java. I personally think they'd have a lot less headaches by dumping Java for OUI, OEM, and the other tools and porting hardcode from system to system. JVM's are big, ugly, and slow. The memory requirement for 8.0.5 is 32M. For 8.1.5i it's 128M (256M recommended). The only reason for that jump is the Java. Yuck! Java is out of control, and way too hyped. The JVM bugs are making cross-platform development slower than if they just bit the bullet and ported hardcode.

        Kurt.          Received on Mon Mar 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CST