Re: Need Help with Installation of Oracle 8i Enterprise Ed

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: 2000/03/06

Here are the steps. The Oracle documentation is quite good for NT and a lot of the heavy lifting is taken care of by the installation wizards

Van

Oracle Server 8.1.5
1. I made a directory on the N drive N:\Oracle\Ora815, then put in the Oracle Enterprise Server release
CD-ROM. When prompted for an Oracle Home Name I used Orant815 and for a path I used
N:\Oracle\Ora815. DO NOT use an Oracle home of "Orant" - this is reserved for Designer/Developer.
2. When prompted for a product to install I chose Oracle Enterprise Edition 8.1.5
3. When asked I chose a custom install. I used the pre-selected defaults but changed these things:
I added under Net8 Products - Oracle SNMP Agent 8.1.5.0.0 I added under Oracle Utilities - Oracle for Windows NT Performance Monitor 8.1.5.0.0
I added under Oracle Installation Products - Oracle Universal Installer 1.6.0.9.0
Some things that were not included were:  Oracle Web Publishing Assistant
 Oracle SQLJ
 Oracle Documentation
 Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows NT 4. A message box appeared saying I had chosen to install advanced security and which authentication
services did I want. I did not select any authentication service. 5. I said yes when asked if I wanted to create a new (sample) database. 6. I was then asked for a global database name and SID. For the name I used DBAV.WORLD and for
the SID I used DBAV.
7. I chose not to install Legato storage manager (for now). 8. For protocols I chose to install TCP/IP, SPX and Named Pipes. I left out LU6.2
9. This install session is logged to
C:\Program Files \ Oracle \ Inventory \ logs \ installActions.log 10. Next I was placed into the Net8 Configuration assistant. For the listener name I chose "LISTENER" To
start I chose just the TCP protocol. I also chose to use just Net8 clients (not IIOP for now - the interorb
protocol that is used when clients are using the listener to access the database Java option. I may have to
come back and add this). I also chose port 1521 for the listener. And I chose to do just a single listener.
11. I chose not to configure naming methods for this server. One of the reasons to configure naming
methods is if the server will need to connect back to itself. I may have to come back and configure naming methods in the future. (Naming methods are used by Net8 to resolve a net service name to an address when attempting to connect a client to a server. They serve the same function that DNS servers do in making telnet or browser connections.) 12. After Net8 completed successfully I was thrown into the database configuration assistant where I chose
to do a custom install. Here are some of my choices. Type of database: hybrid
Concurrently connected users: 15
Database mode: dedicated server mode
Options to configure: all
Global Database Name: DBAV.WORLD
SID: DBAV
Init file: N:\Oracle\admin\DBAV\pfile\InitDbav.ora Internal Password: oracle (all in lower case, if it ever matters) Control Files: N:\Oracle\oradata\DBAV\CtlDbav1.ctl

     P:\Oracle\oradata\DBAV\CtlDbav2.ctl Maximum Data Files: 254
Maximum Log Files: 32
Maximum Log Members: 3
Data files: In general I used the defaults but made pctincrease 0, maxextents
249 where possible and used the P drive for file copies. I made all the initial and next sizes powers of two where possible. Shared Pool Size (bytes): 53M
Block Buffers: 5000
Log Buffer Size (bytes): 32768
Processes: 150
Block Size (bytes): 8192
Trace File for User Files: N:\Oracle\admin\DBAV\udump Trace File for Background Files: N:\Oracle\admin\DBAV\bdump 13. After making my choices the database creation assistant attempted to create a database. During the
attempt to install Oracle JServer I got an ORA-00604 error. I said to ignore the error and to proceed. Three more errors followed which I also ignored.
The creation assistant finished with the usual passwords SYS - change_on_install

        System - manager
        Internal password - oracle
and names       global database name - DBAV.WORLD
        database system identifier (SID) - DBAV
14. De-installation instructions are in the document in Programs / Oracle-Orant815 / Release Notes
Clean Machine instructions are in the same

 After installing the 8.1.5 products and creating a sample database, I performed the general post-installation actions on the database (see Installing - 8.1.5 General Post-Installation Steps in this book).

surya <surya_vedula_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FD7CAD81F5CC50A3.DDC5173EFBEFDB1C.74CFF0074FE9BF4B_at_lp.airnews.net...
> Hi,
> I am trying to install Oracle Enterprise Edition 8.1.5 on Windows NT
 Server